Monday, April 19, 2010

Bountiful Baskets

I have had several people ask me about Bountiful baskets and if it is worth the money. So I decided to check it out for all of you.

What’s Bountiful Baskets:

Uses collective purchasing to get high quality food at prices usually reserved for grocery stores and restaurants.  
The way it works is you register and pick your location. Add a basket to your cart or more if you want. You can also add 9 grain bread 6 loaves.

1 basket is $15 for your first time you pay an additional fee of $3.00. You also pay a handling fee of $1.50

So the total with out bread was $19.50 (keep in mind this was my first time so the next time I purchase it will only be $16.50.

I will buy 4 weeks worth of produce. I will weight it, tell you the price I would be willing to pay for the produce in the store and give you the total. At the end of the 4 weeks I will tell you my opinion. If it’s worth it or not.

Week 1

Fruit

10 – Apples (wt. 3.19 lbs) @ $.79/lb  = $2.50

1 – Bundle Bananas (wt. 3.08 lbs)  @ $.39/lb = $1.20

1 – Cantaloupe (wt. 2.67 lbs) @ $.39/lb = $1.04

1 – Pinnapple (wt. 2.37 lbs) @ $.69/lb =  $1.64

1 – Black Berry’s ( container) = $2.00

1 – Grape tomatoes (container) = $1.00

Vegetables

1 – Broccoli (wt. 2.74 lbs) @ $.69/lb = $1.89

2 – Carrot bags @ $.33 ea = $.66

1 – Mushrooms @ $1.00 = $1.00

Red Potatoes  (wt. 3.77 lbs) @ $.39/lb = $1.47

Romaine Lettuce = $1.00

Swiss Chard = $1.00

TOTAL : $16.40 (this is what I would pay if I bought these foods at my price point. This is before tax)

BountifulBaskets.org

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for doing this!!! I tried the basket once and was a little disapointed with it. But I only did it once...I thought I would wait to try it again during summer ;) but now I can just cheat and see what you do! You are AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you do most of your produce shopping?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It depends on the sales that week. Usually Reams in Springville. The quality of produce is GREAT there. I do have to say that the produce that I got at Bountiful Baskets was exceptional. Some of my apples where bruised but not bad. Other then that everything was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete